Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Something's a brewing...

I have been reading Going Long and Triathlete's Training Bible over the past few days whenever I had a chance. There is a wealth of knowledge in there that I have apply as much as I can for next season training.

From Going Long, Joe and Gordon suggest for newbie Ironman should be able to ride 4-5 hours, run 2 - 2 1/2 hours and swim 4,000 m (not all at once). The overall theme of the book is to build your endurance base. Build it wide and take your time. Teach your body to burn fat.

If I am doing my training right for this coming season, I should be able to build that endurance base by the end of next season (end of 2006). My plan is to do Ironman USA (Lake Placid) in 2007. As you can see, my training is a year ahead. In fact, I am training next year as I am training for an Ironman (even though next year my long races are 1/2 IM).

I even can say if I train right during winter time, I don't even have to wait until the year end to have that base. I might even hit it by May. Am I too ambitious? I don't know. The running and biking leg on its own I can do them no sweat. The swimming I have to work on. I have to make sure I do it gradually. That is, increasing the time/distance no more than 10% a week. Every fourth week drop the training down (periodization).

Right now I am in my transition period. I haven't set my plan down yet. It is still a blur in my head. I enjoy easing my body into training and at the same time not pushing myself to stress. The following list is what I plan to focus on this month and the next. It is more technique building. At the same time I am doing a lot light training.

Swim, learn to swim, refine kicking and stroke set
Bike, 90 rpm, practice one leg riding
Run, 180 rpm, practice some running drills as mention in the book
Diet, slowly increasing more veges consumption and less grain consumption (1/2 paleodiet)
Training, fixing the time for three key training (Sat [bike], Mon [swim], Wed [run]) and fitting everything else in between.
Weight, getting my body adjusted to lifting
Yoga, incorporate a few yoga techniques that I can do at home

14 comments:

Kewl Nitrox said...

Can't say that I have read the book - if I had time to read I would be training. ;) But that looks like a pretty comprehensive program to me. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

looks like you're going to be SUPER prepared come IM time. Kona, here you come!

Spandex King said...

Hey!! There are still 6 community slots left for Ironman Wisaconsin on Sept 10th. Would like to see ya there. Good luck with the training!!

Steven said...

Great approach to your training, Cliff. You are doing it right by building up the base you'll need to draw from when the going gets tough.
Keep at it!

Mike said...

Wow Cliff. I'm not going to start training for IMC 2007 until after I register. Sounds like you will be totally prepared for your halfs next year. Are you really trying for Kona, or is that just a rumor? :-)

anners said...

:o Too hard core. I can't run with you anymore, you'll blow me out of the water :)

Fe-lady said...

I LIKE people who plan AHEAD! They go places! And you are well on your way! (I have some goals for '07 already too...keeps one looking forward and not getting stuck on what has already passed.) Good luck! :-)

Cliff said...

Curly Su- Did God told u about my Kona plan.... :)

Nancy Toby said...

_Going Long_ has some great stuff in it. I have a ways to go on those riding and swimming goals, though....

Battman said...

Sounds like a solid plan, especially about planning a couple of years ahead. That way, you won't blow yourself up too early physically and emotionally with a huge race.

psbowe said...

Admire you for your training regimen.

Papa Tweet said...

Cliff,
In my opinion, many athletes forget to strength train. Unfortunately, I made that mistake and found my core getting weak. Before you know it, I'm injured. Just a thought, but make sure to strengthen your core.

Bolder said...

you're doin' great Cliff!

it's all gonna come together for you...

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Vicodin vs dorvocet contemporary furniture video lounge chairs Middle east phone card asia Voiture lamborghini charleston sc programs teens quit smoking Juegos para pdas gratis pontiac solstaceused want to save shopping tenuate rhinoplasty surgeon alamo rentals Longest pee song by adam sandler Saunas and massachusetts victoria hiking tours Toots and the maytals tee shirt Dickies work shirt Dickies kagis pants http://www.pdasoftware0.info/Pda.html Antispam 2005 serial