Thursday, December 14, 2006

Before I start my post, I am packed and ready to go to Tremblant. I forgot to bring a real winter jacket b/c I figure I wouldn't need one since the weather is so warm. Amd we all know how inaccurate the weatherman can be. I will see if my friend has an extra one I can borrow. I got my runners and got a new swim toy :)

--------------
Heart of the Matter by Don Henley



If you heard this song, you will quickly realize it is about a guy found out someone he once love is with someone else. Forgiveness. Such a simple word. Yet so hard to do. Maybe it is our human nature, our pride and ego that hold us back.

This is not necessarily have to between a lover relationship. It can also between family and friends.


These times are so uncertain
There's a yearning undefined
...People filled with rage
We all need a little tenderness

Some of the hardest struggles are not external. It is with the closest ones we love and care for. I admit at times I let my heart filled with rage.


There are people in your life who've come and gone
They let you down and hurt your pride
Better put it all behind you; life goes on
You keep carrin' that anger, it'll eat you inside
I have been hitting the same speed bump again and again. Frustration grew within. I am so tempted to point fingers. I know there is only one person responsible. Myself. If I don't quench the anger, I will forever carry this burden in my heart.



I've been tryin' to get down to the Heart of the Matter
But my will gets weak
And my thoughts seem to scatter
But I think it's about forgiveness
Forgiveness
Even if, even if you don't love me anymore

The Heart of the Matter. I once woke up thinking about someone I put behind a long time ago. Things never developed between us and I decided not to nurture our relationship. I thought about how she is doing. Where is she living? Is she marry?

Am I interested in developing romantically with her? Back then yes. Now, I moved on. And I am sure she has moved on as well.

I find it odd how when relationships don't work out, both party have such anger for each other. Maybe it is easier for us to put up a wall and build our defense. To bury our emotions. Cover it up. But deep down, it becomes a burden that we all carry. It stays within us forever. Until we face it, to ask for forgiveness, it will eat us up. To have peace within ourselves, we have to forgive.


I've been tryin' to get down to the Heart of the Matter
Because the flesh will get weak
And the ashes will scatter
So I'm thinkin' about forgiveness
Forgiveness
Even if, even if you don't love me anymore

It took Dan 40 years to write a 4 minutes song. It took me 4 minutes to reflect what happen 8 years ago. I never hold a grudge against her. To put blame is not fair. I just hope the same from the other side.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great song!

Rachel said...

Thank you for reminding us about forgiveness. I realized at my Great Aunt's Memorial Service (which was beautiful) yesterday that I am way too judgemental for no reason. I left feeling much more peaceful.

Trisaratops said...

That song is on the soundtrack of my life...if such a thing exists. :) Brings me definitely back to a time long ago!

Anonymous said...

The song is one of my favorites. I had the album but it was missing after a break-in at the house. Thanks for the reminder.

Robin said...

Have fun skiing!

Also, I saw Don Henley in concert oh so long ago...it was great.

Anonymous said...

You are so right. Sometimes it seems to be so much easier to just build walls, but it's not what Christ commanded and it sure isn't the way to a full life, so I am glad you have a great attitude! :)

Lora said...

Wow---this song has great meaning for me. A very old boyfriend told me to listen to it after he went off with someone else. To say the least, I was quite confused. I sobbed and sobbed when I heard it those many years ago. We learn so much from those that pass through our lives. Thanks for the memories!

Anonymous said...

I echo the thought that this was a great reminder about forgiveness.

Anonymous said...

It's been said the person that receives grace isn't always the forgiven but the forgiver.

Healing can sting but be oh so sweet.

Stay tuned...

Anonymous said...

Keep moving forward, Cliff. You can't replay what's so far behind you. It seems like your head and heart are in the right place - you'll end up where God intends you to.

Anonymous said...

You've given me a fresh perspective on that song.

Many years ago my wife and I attended a 'progressive' church for the first time to check it out. The whole service was about forgiveness, yet never once did anyone mention God forgiving us because of Christ's sacrifice. At the end of the service, the band got up to play and the lead singer said this:

"After all my years in the church and studying the Bible and listening to hymns on the subject, I have never heard a better explanation of forgiveness than this song written by Don Henley from the Eagles:"

They proceeded to sing "The Heart of the Matter."

Now it's a fine song and you've gotten a simple message out of it to apply to life. But to categorically state that somehow Don Henley was finally able to capture the true meaning of forgiveness after centuries of consideration of the subject Biblically seemed quite ludicrous to me. Needless to say, we never went back to that church, nor have I ever heard that song again in the same manner.

Until now; thanks for giving me a new memory to hold about these lyrics and encouraging me to move on and seek forgiveness from those whom I've hurt.

Anonymous said...

A great reminder about the importance of forgiveness. And what a GREAT song! Thanks.

qcmier said...

Thanks for your perspective on that song.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bonbon said...

It's all about forgiveness...I'm glad you were able to move on. There is no sense of living in the past. Once you forgive someone and vice versa, b/c both parties were hurt, it's easier to move on and become friends. You may not want to be friends but both parties have that peace again. Good job!