Sunday, August 20, 2006

Weekend...

Just a brief post before I head to bed. Yesterday was the most painful training session ever. 100 k bike + 10 k run (ok..actually it was 9.74 km). The bike consisted of a two 50 k loops. A mix of hills and flats. Perdominatly flats.

My 1/2 IM on Sept 3rd is all flats. So I figure I stick with the flats to stimulate closer to actual race course. A few weeks ago Darren ask me what's my strat for this race. After my 1/2 Ironman in July I figure I can push the intensity a bit.

My goal for yesterday was simple. See how hard I can push and how long I can hold it for. This will give me a good indicator of what my race pace should be.

First loop, started off relax and slowly get myself up to speed. On the flats, I was able to hold 30 - 33 kph (18- 20 mph) most of the time. Hills turned into spinning session with the granny gear.

Second loop, mentally the mind was race focus. I fell apart at the climbs. I was pushing too hard of a gear and quickly have to reduce to spinning. On the flat back (the last 10 km), my HR was at 152 and won't budge any higher. By then my right lower back was screaming and I focus on the intensity. Don't let go. Don't slow down.

I finished the second lap faster than the first. First lap, 1 hr 38 min. Second lap 1 hr 37 min. Negative split. Good stuff. Avg speed 30 kph (18 mph).

After walking to take down a gel, my feet quickly got into the groove. HR was at 160. There were a lot of questions of quitting and slowing down. I know these type of questions I would face them in race day. I might as well get them over with.

Did the run in 55 min. Avg speed, 5:38 min/km (9 min mile).

As I stretched, bought ice, drovehome, took ice bath...all I could say was "I am in so much pain". This morning, my fellowship brother asked me how I am doing..I smiled and said.."A whole load of pain"

Have to take into account of traffic light and stop signs. So it is possible that I can hold a 32 kph (20 mph) and a faster time on the run. Then again, with those 'stops' I give my body to rest up.
What I do know is these are the pace I can hold up. Time and speed have a lot dependent on the terrain of the course and the weather. All I can control is my HR, my nutrition and my hydration. That's about it....now is taper till Sept 3rd.

This morning did a recovery bike ride. HR was super low. By the time it got up to 150, I was huffing and puffing. 150 felt like 160. I just enjoyed the ride. Went to Church. My cousin (14 yr old) and his mom came to visit us from Hong Kong. I spent the rest of the day with him. He likes arcade games so we spent the afternoon at Playdium with my sis. Did some normal stuff today....ok time for sleep and rest. Throat feels like I am coming down with something...

15 comments:

qcmier said...

Nice IM banking.

If you've been reading my trials, it's not how hard you push, it's how strong you finish.

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

good job cliff. And I got quite a laugh reading your traithlete stalker thread.

Chris said...

Sounds like a great workout. You said in your comments that you couldn't fathom averaging 20 MPH. Looks like you're not too far off after all!

William said...

Get lots of rest for that throat. That's the first thing that goes on me when I push hard.

You're going to do great. Those are good times and your bike speed is really good.

Steven said...

You are more ready for your race than you're giving yourself credit for. Don't worry.

Also - LOVED your stalker post. That was funny!

But...you are kidding about being a stalker, right? Cliff? Right?

Comm's said...

wow that is a great brick. Same one i did on that day. Great minds think alike. Although I am stealing somethign from you. You said you bought ice on the way home for a bath. I buy ice for my water before training. Now I know what do with it when I am done. Thanks.

Rachel said...

Pain is not good. Good thing you're headed into R&R

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

That is an awesome pace Cliff! You are VERY ready for the 1/2 IM, I would say.

Mike said...

Cliff- those tough workouts will make the actual race seem "easy" in comparison. Solid effort!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Great stuff and enjoy your taper. Good luck with your race.

jameson said...

solid stuff cliff... as usual. Now just recover from the big weekend and get ready to drop the hammer on the 3rd! Good luck.

Bolder said...

smart training day cliff.

you'll be able to use your knowledge of your limits in your HIM!

go get 'er!!

Papa Louie said...

Negative split should make you happy! Sounds like all your training will pay off on your IM race.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Great session. One to be proud of. I like the Tri Stalker photos - very hunky-dory. :)

Possibly you may need slightly longer tri shorts. :D

D said...

We beat ourselves up don't we?