Friday, November 03, 2006

Free flow

For the past week I have been heading to the pool after work for 20-30 min. The pool is fill with kids' lessons. They reserve one lane for us swimmers.

As you can imagine, 5-6 people swimming in one one lane, in a 25 m pool, can get very congested.

I don't mind. I understand there is no way I can do a long swim. One lane is set for everyone to share. If I want a clean swim, I can go in the morning.

Normally, I would work on one hand drills and kicking. I wait until there is enough gap that I can swim a lap without interruption.

Yesterday, I had a surprise. I forgot that on Thursday, the pool closed at 7 pm. And after 6 pm, there were less class than usual. This freed up more lanes.

I immediately took the opportunity.

No sets, no drills, no stroke counting. Just swim.

I wasn't thinking about my training or if I am going to bump into someone.
I wasn't worry about the next week or my plans for the weekend.
I wasn't concern if I will be late for my fellowship.

I wasn't aware of how fast time had gone by until they started to clear the buoy that set the swim lane. As they were cleaning up, I did one more lap. Just a quickie.

"Excuse me, sir. We are closing in a few minutes."

I smiled and got out.

For 20 minutes. I am free. I just flow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great swim. It's nice to have the pool all to yourself.

Rae said...

Sounds like a nice relaxing swim!!!Have a great weekend!

Habeela said...

Go Clif! Sounds like the swimming is really coming along. You're going to get to Lake Placid and be sad when you have to get out of the water. :)

Anonymous said...

hey...that's my pool...NOT. Funny we picked the same pool from the internet.