Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Studying God's Words...

Beside leading the young career Fellowship (Emmanuel), I also attend a small group that studied the Bible once a month. Yesterday, we were studying Romans Chapter 2. I am glad I went b/c I haven't had a good Bible Study in a long long time. I had a highschool reunion last night as well.

The decision wasn't too hard to make. It would be great to socialize with people I haven't seen for a long time. On the other hand, I can't justify for going out and not studying God's Words. Especially when I consider myself as a Follower of Christ.

In Romans Chap 2, Paul was addressing the Jewish tradition (circumcision) and how does it relate to Gentiles. Back then, there must be a lot of problems within the Church. There were Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians. The Jewish Christians were still practicing the Law (Moses' Laws) and there must be confusion if whether Gentiles have to follow them as well.

Paul explained that since God gave Jews the Law, they will be judge by it (Romans 2:12). Since Gentiles doesn't have any Law, does it mean they won't be judge at all? No, God will judge them base on their heart (Romans 2:14).

He ended off with:

"A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code." (Romans 2:28-29)

This is very similair to Jesus' teaching, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' (Matthew 22:37).

I am very fortunate to be part of this small group. Most of them either lead the worship team or is a part of it. Afterwards, I hear them discuss about their preparation before each worship. What I got most of it was their dedication to make sure that worship is not a routine. Not outwardly. But circumcision of the heart.

On the way back, I thought about my involvment to the Church and my own path with Christ. In terms of faith, I am still very immature. There is still a large area of growth and development.

5 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

You may still have lots of room to grow, but the important thing is that your heart is moving in the right direction - God knows our hearts - thankfully. :)

Nice post, by the way.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Great insights. It is indeed all about circumcision of the heart.

Boris' Dad said...

good post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder Cliff that it's what we are inwardly in our relationship with God that determines who we become outwardly.

Papa Louie said...

To echo Romans 2:29 ...circumcision is of the heart, in spirit, not in letter...
Whatever we are, whatever we do, and whatever we have must be in spirit. The contrast is what is in our heart verses the outward forms of religion. Our spirit with God's Spirit is what makes God real to us.
If we keep our hearts steadfast on God and He is faithful to bring us unto maturity.
Please read the encouraging words from Paul in Ephesians 4:13-16.