Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Ignorance is Bliss...

I have been doing some research on the route I rode on Sat. Here is one stretch that was the steepest I had ever climbed.

About 450 ft in 1.5 miles. Notice there is a steep climb just before the first 1/2 mile. I figure the whole climb is about 6-8% grade.

When I climbed that hill on Sat, I didnt' realize how high it was. I just knew that's the way I came, so that's the way I MUST go to get back home. Since this was my way back home, I had climbed a number of hills before and my legs were 1/2 fry.

If someone had told me I would be climbing that much that day, I would have said NO WAY.

But b/c I am ignorance, I climbed it. So sometimes it is good to be ignorance...

I look forward to climbing this hill all through the season. If I can master this..the ride on IMUSA will be manageable. I ain't going to say easy b/c Ironman is not easy..just manageable.
----

On a lighter note..thanks for all the comments you guys left on my previous post :)..I was bugging Anners to give me one more post so I can hit 40 comments. Yay..now i feel popular and helps my self-esteem on a superficial way :D....

18 comments:

Spandex King said...

For me not knowing is best. I tend to over analyze everything. I'm better just to get to it and take it as it comes.

jameson said...

that's a killer climb.

Steven said...

Hill climbing is "speedwork" in disguise for both running and riding. Keep climbing and keep getting faster, Cliff.

William said...

I would like to know. I usually enjoy climbing especially now that I am 20 lbs lighter!

Hilda said...

Now you know what you can achive... even with out knowing it, amazing!

it's only fuel said...

I also think that ignorance is bliss when it comes to climbing:) I love to climb though, even when I curse the hill as I'm on it:D

Unknown said...

Hey I thought you said you can't force someone to comment. Ha, just messin with you Cliff. You deserve them all. That climb is probably tougher on the bike than it is on the run.

Sarah Lukas said...

I totally agree with some of these comments- it's so awesome when you don't know how amazing the climb was until you completed it! Congrats! And Happy Birthday!

Bolder said...

sooooo, when are you gonna do it again?

too bad i'm not in Toronto anymore, i
'd do it with you in a picosecond!

Lora said...

So that's why they say "Ignorance is Bliss".

Habeela said...

Ignorance...bliss...climbing mountains...the perfect combination!

Thomas said...

I've got a climb about 3 miles away from gome that climbs about 400ft in one mile. It's a challenge to run all the way to the top, but I never tried it on a bike.

You know, these climbs make you stronger.

Legs and Wings said...

Hey Cliff. Just a quick note to say that I enjoy your blog. This is a really cool spot to hang out.

I'll be back.

Rae said...

Awesome job on the ride! That's a steep climb! I think you'll have lots of fond memories of that day for years to come.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! scotsman ice machine cleaning solution Time clock pda construction american fridge freezers silver